Sunday, September 13, 2009

Puzzle 51 – Solution

This puzzle brought in a variety of solutions and as usual all solutions that meet the conditions of the puzzle would be considered correct.

The solution I had in mind is,

package com.twister; public class Area { //should initialize to 0 - formula mentioned for documentation int area = this.length*this.breath; //Instance variables get initialized to 0 int length = 10; int breath = 20; public static void main(String[] args) { Area a = new Area(); //Do whatever needs to be done in main } }

I find this solution pretty suitable for this problem for a couple of reasons:

1. It does not destroy the essence of the code – the
variable area remains part of the class Area which makes the code look logical. The other solution that does the same is making area a method.

2. It goes with the comment of keeping the code self documenting which getting the code to compile.

Of course some of the other solutions are pretty neat too – It's just that I am a little biased towards this one!!

@Matthieu – I missed giving you points for your solution last time – thats corrected now.

@Simonz – You solution (for puzzle 50) is correct too – It satisfies all the rules of puzzle 50.

@Yauheni – Welcome back - : ) – I wish I get my next vacation soon!

1 comment:

  1. FYI: Since you added the separate window for the code it is presented a one line in Google reader. Might turn away people - this is how I originally found the blog.

    Otherwise I like the blog and keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete

Solution for this question?