Sunday, April 5, 2009

Puzzle 13 – Recursion

Language – Java | Type – Problem (Code) | Last date 08-Apr-2009 9:00 p.m. IST | Points 5

My little brother (a charming character usually) came to me the other day and said, “Don’t you think this pattern is amazing. I bet you computer folks could never make something like this”. “Ha” I scoffed “that’s simple recursion”. Simple recursion – was I out of my mind – when did recursion become simple? So here I am folks stuck on another problem. Any help?

When n = 1; output 1
When n = 2; output 121
When n = 3; output 1213121
When n = 4; output 121312141213121
Program must work for all positive integers ‘n’

Got an answer? Why don’t you leave it here.

1 comment:

  1. import java.io.*;

    class FunnyExercise {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    Console console = System.console();
    System.out.print("Enter the desired number : ");
    int input = Integer.parseInt(console.readLine());
    String result = getText(input);
    System.out.print("Answer is : "+result);
    }

    private static String getText(int n) {
    String text = "";
    if(n == 1) {
    text = "1";
    return text;
    }
    String txt = printText(n-1);
    String retVal = txt+String.valueOf(n)+txt;
    return retVal;

    }
    }

    ReplyDelete

Solution for this question?